Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tide Cracks Can Be Hazardous!


The next task is in a way the least favourite, most nerve racking but also rather exhilarating. Coming to a stop at a safe distance to survey what the tide crack has to offer I confidently get off the quad with ice axe in hand ready to poke and probe. This process is supposed to make me and the expeditioner’s feel safer as though it is an exact science! When the tide is out this process can be done with some confidence as you can walk the tide cracks without getting wet but when you cannot see the bottom and you cannot walk the route it is a bit of a stab in the dark as it were. The first crack that I came too was deeper than the length of my ice axe handle and already had the surface 1cm refrozen just to make it a little more interesting.


Gulp (large gulping noise)! Should I hold my breath (option one)? Cross my fingers (option two)? Look like I know what I am doing (option three)? Break down and cry (option four)? I lock in, look like I know what I am doing then start the engine and find 2nd gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment