Friday, December 11, 2009

Gone Fishing!


I managed to get onto a fishing/wading collection of marine life for the aquarium today and found it rather interesting to see the scientists with their dry-suits on and their child restraint harnesses. These were to stop them being swept away by the current and were held onto by their dive assistant. They collected a large number of sea urchins, a couple of starfish and a small fish along with a few other little critters. The tide crack is where I went fishing with my ice axe. It was very gently to collect sea urchins from the bottom without getting ridiculously cold. I do not have any photos of this as it was my head down the hole! We got there in the local taxi/ helicopter service (the public transport system takes you where ever you want to go down here). The other photo is of the sea ice edge as it is breaking off. These pieces break off each day with the rise and fall of the tide!

No comments:

Post a Comment