Monday, March 8, 2010

Field Travel Travel Training - the last one! Day 3

Waking initially as snow fell on my face in the early hours of the morning I continued to drift in and out of sleep. The night brought with it the dump of the summer and I had been sleeping with my bivvy bag open! Lucky me! As the snow fell and continued to build up on the outer surface of the bivvy the weight would compress your sleeping bag until the cold would get the better of you and you would have to shake like a dog until it all fell off to the sides and the process started again.
 This is the coffin like trench where I slept! You can see the ground as that is what it looked like last night! New view from the camp at early hours.

 The walk through the transformed winter wonderland was just great on the way back to Davis Station! SW Edge of Lake Collerson, Perched Rock (it is a rock that perches precariously funnily enough), through the Portals, NW to Lake Dingle and under Sentinel Knoll before finishing off on the old favourite Dingle Road. Arriving at 09:45 just in time to drop off the poo bag to the incinerator before smoko! What a great trip to get in before I depart within a couple of weeks!
Crazy and crumpy penguin on the way home. Obviously forgot his map when he went for a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment